Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hokies


Shocked.
Stunned.
Scared.
Sad.

So much went through my brain on Monday. I kept thinking about living in that dorm (West AJ was my freshman year dorm...) Trying to piece together the events as they unfolded and came to light was heart wrenching. I am so thankful that the people I know at VT are safe, although scared.

Virginia Tech is the most amazing campus with the most school spirit and pride of any place I have been before. And yes, this even means my very own WVU. The campus is surrounded by only the town that feeds off of it. No one in Blacksburg associates the community with anything other than Tech. The community is insanely close-knit which was one of my favorite things about living there. The student body is constantly a sea of maroon and orange no matter what time of year it may be.

I have no bad memories of my time there related to the school whatsoever. My choice to leave was complicated to those not involved and a giant leap of faith recognized by many of my friends and family. It looks like it's time again for those at Virginia Tech to take a leap of faith, to trust that God is in control of the situation and their healing.

I was on campus during the 9-11 attacks and saw how close of a community it really is down there. The way the student body and greater community provided amazing support to all those effected was breathtaking.

I pray that much good will come of these terrible events and that the strength of the Hokies is only even stronger in the weeks to come. I am confident that this campus will survive, heal, and bear the burden of this tragedy in the most honorable and dignified way. The Hokies always rise to the top and I am proud to say I am one.

No comments: