Monday, September 15, 2008

Biking

Smokey Mountain National Park was on the agenda for Vacation 2008. We had gotten a tip from one of our Favorite Couple's that Cades' Cove was a "must see". The weather was absolutely beautiful the day we had set aside for our mountain-adventures so we decided, not only to take FC's advice and check out Cades' Cove, but we also decided to use their favorite method of transportation, the bicycle.


Now, Husband was an avid biker in his pre-college, pre-drivers license days (the bike was traded in for a car shortly there after) and was very certain that an 11-mile bike ride would be a wonderful and relaxing adventure for us both. I, on the other hand, had no concept of exactly how far 11 miles was and so enthusiastically set-out on the "trail" behind Husband. I quickly realized that not only did my legs not operate with the same strength as Husbands, but I also did not know how to work the gears and breaks from the handle bar location. Eventually I got the hang of it...


While on the bike ride, there were two hills that required bikers to walk beside their bikes. These seemed rather odd since both were down hill. By this point I had already walked at least the equivalent of two miles on foot because I would pansy out on the up-hill climb. The second of the mandatory walks was far too intimidating for me, so I obeyed the signs and walked...Husband flew past...not walking. All the sudden I heard rustling and deer jumped out and across the road. Husband quickly jumped off his bike and grabbed the camera and took this amazing shot...


Mile 9 was when I thought I was going to die. This was not the peaceful ride I had anticipated. My legs were burning, my breathing heavy, my everything was sweaty...and we had no water (for we are not avid outdoorsman you see and had no backpack, no Nalgene bottle to strap to our bikes, nothing, nada, zilch, zip!) It was here that Husband promised a snack at the end of our adventure...now you know me, a snack always puts a little spring in my step!

It's amazing the things I will do for ice cream!

No comments: