Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Future

Many have asked "Now what?" in response to the election season which is now (thankfully) over (some because they do not know and wish to know and others because they are my dearest Brothers and Sisters who like to keep me in check and make sure I am walking uprightly, both of which I appreciate.) Now what? We pray and submit, same as always.

I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
~1 Timothy 2:1-2 (emphasis mine)

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
~Romans 13:1 - 7 (emphasis mine)

Sure, I have been interested in politics since I can remember, regardless of how many failed Student Government campaigns I was involved with (namely, mine). My best friend in middle school and I were convinced that someday we would run together on a Presidential ticket. I craved phone calls with conversation of political substance when we were in college. Political science was one of those electives in school I chose "for fun" (physics being the other...yeah, that's right...) and I have been learning about past Presidents since pretty much the beginning of my existence (thank you Mom for that one...)

Today, the finance person inside is screaming, the Pro-Lifer inside is crying, the future mother inside is puzzled, and the soldier's family and friend is concerned, but the Christian in me, the only part that matters, understands.

God knows exactly where we are on the Kingdom Calendar. In His sovereignty, this is the path that our country will take for the next four years. I may not understand why, but I understand that I do not see the bigger picture, He does. I trust Him.

The government was never intended (or should I say, should never intend) to take away the job of The Church. Caring for the poor, the underprivileged, and the ones with no voice is still our responsibility, not the government's. I think far too often The Church gets off easy because government has played such a large role in caring "for the least of these". It's time for that to change...and that's change I can get behind.

God is bigger than one election, than our bank accounts, than our laurels, than our wildest dreams, than anything or anyone who opposes Him. I love and take comfort in that. It's going to be a wild ride, but in the end, it's all been for a reason.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
~Romans 8:28

1 comment:

Tim said...

Very eloquently stated.