Saturday, September 1, 2007

Nectarines

I have decided that nectarines are my favorite fruit. Sure, my daily banana helps with the Charlie horses I get in my feet due to the inappropriate arch support in my favorite shoes. Sure, apples make great pie. Sure, rhubarb (is that even a fruit) when combined with strawberries make my favorite pie. But the nectarine is the perfect blend of taste and texture, no peach fuzzies, yet a peach-like quality...firm like an apple, but without the crunch (and without the allergic reaction from Hubby). Nectarines are essentially perfect. The pit is easy to cut around, there is no real stem to worry about...just slice around the middle and you have an amazing snack.

I bought four nectarines at Wegman's (or Weggie's if you're a member of my household) this week because they were on sale and I had *gasp* forgotten how much I LOVE them. They are perfect right now (perhaps in season, our friend at the "Vegetable CIA", a.k.a. USDA, would have to confirm that for me). I shall be stocking up next week and taking advantage of their abundance at my local grocery store.

Go get yourself a nectarine and enjoy!

No comments: