Thursday, November 1, 2007

Costumes

This Halloween was quite the treat! Our new neighborhood has TONS of little kids (we had at least 200 kids come to our door) and the neighborhood was so full of fun and laughter. We met tons of neighbors that we otherwise might never have met and made lots of friends since apparently little kids LOVE Reese's (and Hubby's pumpkin). So much different from other Halloweens in my life which were plagued by fear, darkness, and anxiety.

I feel I have really come to terms with how Halloween fits into my world view and feel quite satisfied and confident now that I've separated the holiday from my past negative experiences with some helpful teaching from the pastors at Frontline. (FYI: Not all my past Halloweens were negative, and my mom made, hands-down, the BEST costumes of anyone else I know, but looking back and leaning on my cynical-side, I tend to dwell on the pumpkin smashing, late-night fireworks, and scary haunted houses...)

Enough depth. Onto the.....

1st Annual Halloween Superlatives!!

Best Costume
Lightening McQueen - featuring a cardboard car attached to the small boy with red suspenders! (Granted he took out like 4 kids in front of him trying to get to the candy bowl, but whatever, his costume DIDN'T come from off a rack at Target (that kid got two pieces of candy))

Best Ensemble
The Wizard of Oz crew

Best Duo
Two Spidermen, one older with lots of muscles and one younger with a skin-tight costume (too funny!!)

Best Effort
Little girl in "bear" costume (no head, couldn't really tell what it was) that would run so fast to get to houses that she would fall flat on her face...pick herself back up and keep on running!

Best Line
"I need a break!" (2 year old boy dressed as a skeleton sits down on our sidewalk and stares at us for 5 minutes)

Strangest Line
"I wasn't here yesterday." (I sure hope not kid, I have NO idea who you are!)

"What ARE you?" Costume
Kid running around carrying a stick with a bandage on the end wearing jeans and a tee shirt

Saddest Moment
Bing decides his pumpkin kitty looks more like Wilbur the Halloween Pig (click to see picture).

Biggest "Awww" Moment
"I can't have Reese's, I'll allergic to peanuts!!!!!!" (said with the greatest pain on his face...think I've gotta poo-face) to which I responded, "okay, here, I'll take it out, do you want a Kit-Kat instead?" "Do THOSE have peanuts?" (said with the most concerned look ever...like I told him his dog might not live or something) "Umm, I don't think so...." followed by 'Dad' interjecting "We'll check your candy later buddy, it's okay."

Weirdest Recurring Phenomenon
Kids reaching into the candy bowl to take a second piece of candy wanting to put it into their bag themselves...or get the candy of their choice when I hadn't chosen properly.

Best Trick or Treat
Surprising friends and getting to see their newborn all dolled up in a orange and white pinstriped onesy and pumpkin bib!

No comments: