Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Halloween

For the majority of my teen/adult years I have hated Halloween. I do not like the overall concept. I do not like dressing up. I do not like being reminded of all the smashed pumpkins I endured as a child (growing up near the local high school obviously tainted the whole "pumpkin"/Halloween thing). I don't get the glorification that Darkness gets through the costumes children choose to wear, or more rightly parents choose to let their children wear... (This year I'm sure there will be far more "Jokers" than "princesses" or "Lightening McQueens"...) I believe very strongly that there is both good and evil in this world...but I also believe something else...

I love chili. I love the overall concept. I love dressing it up. I love being reminded of coming home to crock pots of my mother's chili after a long day at school. It is one of the true perfections of my favorite meat, cow. I believe very strongly that there is good chili and bad chili (oh the things some people do to chili...)

This year our neighborhood has decided to have a Halloween Block Party and Chili Cook-Off. I could not be more excited. Not only did last year's Halloween festivities in Pleasantville thoroughly surprise me (I guess this is what I get living in a neighborhood with most children being, well, children, not teenagers wreaking havoc and ruining a child's "fun candy time") but this year it's going to be even better.

I may learn to like Halloween yet!

But, I still will not dress up.

No comments: