Friday, August 3, 2007

Words

Word
a unit of language, consisting of one or more spoken sounds or their written representation, that functions as a principal carrier of meaning.

Our words are SO powerful. They can convey any number of meanings. Words said using different tones or intonations can have multiple meanings to those receiving our words. The same word can become humorous, sarcastic, loving, compassionate, annoying, hurtful, or helpful depending on the meaning behind the simple word.

Words can be used to encourage and to build up (Proverbs 12:25 "An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up;") or they can be used to destroy and harm (Proverbs 12: 18 " Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.")

I fear that too often my words do the latter. How sad. Perhaps it's my sense of humor, or my ever present foot-in-mouth syndrome...or perhaps I am too hard on myself. I think we could all use a swift reminder to slow down and choose our words carefully when talking to each other. And with that I leave you...and and off to ponder what I will say next...

No comments: