Thursday, March 26, 2009

Teeth

So last week I went to the dentist.  As I believe I have mentioned before (but am too lazy to look up my previous "dentist" post(s) ) I never hated the dentist until I became an adult.  Strange, but true.  At this check-up I received the most devastating news.  I had not one, but two cavities?!  I have never had a cavity in my life and now...two?!  The dental hygienist again recommended that a change one of my regular medications (to which in my head I responded, "No way, it took me forever to find it, screw teeth!  Literally rip out my teeth and give me screw-in teeth!")  This was not the most devastating part of the news. 
 
I finally have to have my wisdom teeth removed. 
 
I have pretty much spent my teenage years to the present avoiding this very situation.  I have extremely small teeth and quite the large mouth.  Sadly, even though three of my four wisdom teeth are settled in just fine, one of them is being a bit of a poo and won't come out to play wreaking havoc to my gums.  This messed up tooth is home to one of my cavities, and, no surprise, the other is located in the tooth right next to it.  There is no turning back now...apparently all four must be removed*.
 
The hygienist proceeded to tell me how she was a "big chicken".  I mentioned that I needed recommendations since I wasn't a huge fan of the guy that removed Hubby's wisdom teeth.  She got all excited and told me the oral surgeon who removed her wisdom teeth (as well as many others she named which I forget) was great and "very attractive".  I believe I managed to get out a muffled giggle so she would feel like she had done her job and made me feel more comfortable.
 
Yesterday, I attempted to look up the oral surgeon that had been recommended...granted she only gave me a last name and the fact that he was "very attractive" (try plugging that into United's Dentist Locator).  I found one that matches that I believe is in-network (since all others that had been recommended in the past had been out-of-network...big bummer).  Once I find out if this is really "him" I will probably throw it over the fence to MrsH to do some medical investigating for me...since I'm not sure "very attractive" is on my list of qualities I want in a man who will be drugging me to sleep, ripping out pieces of my body, and watching me drool for approximately 45 minutes to an hour.  Goodness gracious.
 
Don't even ask me how I am supposed to take the post-op medications considering I am allergic to 4 of the most common antibiotics in the world (hence the majority of the fear of this whole ordeal...who the crap knows what all I am allergic too...including anesthesia...I have no idea...) and can only take large pills (which means all but like 2 on the market, one of them being those tiny red Sudafed's that keep me and my nose in working order) using a straw which is expressly forbidden for wisdom teeth extractions (this is only because I'm a pansy, I know, I know).
 
So there you have it.  My trip to the dentist.  The goal is to get everything taken care of before vacation time...or before I pansy out...or before something worse happens to my teeth. 
 
Phew!
 
 
*Since moving to Virginia I have also been told in so many ways by multiple dental offices that if one is with-child while still possessing her wisdom teeth her head will inevitably explode.  Since this was not currently on my list of reasons why I fear childbirth, I dismissed them all as insane.  Surely my amazing doctor would have pointed that out to me and I trust her judgement far more than these crazy dentists (most of which I cannot understand due to various language barriers and those ridiculous masks they refuse to take off even when just trying to have a conversation).  I'm just sayin'...
 
 

No comments: