Friday, March 7, 2008

Style

So for my birthday my gals convinced me to get a hair cut. Not just any hair cut, but one where:
1) Salon and/or Spa was found in the name of the hair-cuttery;
2) Someone specialized in cutting curly hair;
3) Was not JCPennys, or any other mall-chain-esque establishment;
4) Was not Chez Bing with me sitting on the bathtub and Husband cutting my hair; and
5) Someone would "consult" with me about my hair and what might look "good".

Last night, I did just that.

It was all very different. First off, before anything happened, we discussed what "ideas" I had about my hair. I had none, other than that I didn't want to look like a mushroom with my hair poofing out at the bottom. Idina (my hair stylist(?) looked like Idina Menzel and since I can't remember her real name, I shall call her Idina) told me that I needed layers. These layers would help to "shape" my fluff. Awesome. She also told me I was not using enough gel, but all i all was pretty impressed with my "fake" curls. Then I was directed to sit in a chair to get my hair washed. Some other chick came out to wash my hair. She did not talk. It was awkward...mostly because I think she was confused about hair not being quite so "dirty" to necessitate the hard scrubbing she gave it. I got wet...and my head felt strange. Back to the hair cutting "station" where Idina came back from goodness knows where, and started cutting away my hair...in the end she confirmed that more variety of products the better, and that I used a tad too little gel. Apparently, quarter is better than dime when you have lots of hair...like me. She also walked me through how to straighten my hair should the need ever arise (in my head I thought to myself, a) you have no idea just how terrible my hair looks striaght, and b) that's what BFF-T is for...

All in all an interesting experience, I definitely wouldn't do it all the time (due to Husband and my reaction to the tab at the end), but then again considering I only cut my hair about 4 times a year, how often is "all the time" really?

Pictures turned out sucky...guess you'll just have to find me to see what it really looks like ;-)

No comments: